New handbook guides organic farmers through biogas investment process
Nürnberg, 14 February 2014 - Organic farmers considering investing in biogas production to improve farm income and contribute to the environmental sustainability of their farms now have new tools at hand.
The SUSTAINGAS Handbook:
- gives a compact overview of concepts, farmers' perspectives and best practice examples for sustainable biogas production on organic farms
- explores the agronomic and economic dimensions of biogas in organic farming
- explains what steps to take for the biogas plant to benefit the environment
- provides a step-by-step decision support, taking into account different biomass sources, plant sizes and ownership models for example
- guides the user through the different efficiency benchmarks.
"Sustainable biogas production - A handbook for organic farmers" is available in English, German, French, Bulgarian, Polish, Danish and Spanish. It has been written and published by SUSTAINGAS, a project in the Intelligent Energy Europe Programme of the European Union focussed on enhancing sustainable biogas production in organic agriculture.
The handbook was been launched today in a seminar at "Biofach", the largest international fair for organic farming. It complements a series of tools available on the SUSTAINGAS website:
- an economic calculation tool for biogas installations on organic farms
- an analysis of sustainability criteria for biogas plants on organic farms
- available soon: guidelines for sustainable biogas production on organic farms
For more information and downloads of the online version please visit: www.sustaingas.eu.
Printed copies can be ordered via:
communication [at] ifoam-eu.org
or via: sustaingas [at] fibl.org