Since many years it was considered to improve the exchange and coordination within the Southern African Organic Sector by establishing a specific platform for development and growth. During the 2nd African Organic Conference, Zambia, the founding meeting of ISAN was held on 6 May 2012. A follow-up meeting was held on 8 March 2013, Gauteng, South Africa.
To develop the Organic Agro-Ecological sector in Southern Africa.
ISAN represents the SADEC countries (Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Seychelles).
- Manjo Smith, Namibian Organic Association (NOA)
- Stanley Chidaya, Malawi Organic Association (MOGA)
- Munshimbwe Chitalu, Organic Producers and Processors Association of Zambia (OPPAZ)
- Paul Whittaker, South African Organic Sector Association (SAOSO)
- Fortunate Nyakanda, Zimbabwe Organic Producers and Promoters Association (ZOPPA)
- Magadascar – representative to be confirmed by Better U Foundation
ISAN Founding Meeting Zambia, 2012
Priorities for the Group:
- Raise consumer awareness
- Address policy issues
- Expand participatory approaches
- Set up three evidence-based comparative systems trials in Southern Africa
- Improve information access and efficiency
- Madagascar: Rames Abhukara & Winifred Fitzgerald, Better U Foundation
- Malawi: Stanley Chidaya, Malawi Organic Growers Assn,
- Namibia: Manjo Smith, NOA; Judith Isele, Namibia Centre for Holistic Management; Christiane Hilbert, NOA, Suzette Jansen van Vuuren, NOA; Wiebke Volkmann, NOA
- South Africa: Kgomo Petje, DAFF; Herman Mootane, DAFF; Heinrich Schultz, SAOSO; Liesl Haasbroek, BDAASA; Raymond Auerbach, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Bheki Dlamni, Department of Trade and Industry, Liz Eglington, SAOSO
- Zambia: Munshimbwe Chitalu, OPPAZ; Sebastian Scott, Old Orchard Organic Farm; Charles K Mubanga, OPPAZ; Lyson Mwanza, OPPAZ; Patrick Chiwawa, OPPAZ; Munshimbwe Chitalu, OPPAZ; Hector Mpengula, OPPAZ, Daniel Kalala, Kasisi Agric Training Centre, Robson Nyirenda, Kasisi; Bridget O’Connor, Kasisi; Wilfred Miga, PELUM Regional Desk
- Zimbabwe: Fortunate Nyakanda, ZOPPA
Physical: NNF Building, 76 & 78 Frans Indongo Street, Windhoek, Namibia
Postal: P.O. Box 1504, Okahandja, Namibia