IAHA is an informal network of individuals and organizations interested in inspiring, supporting and strengthening the development of organic animal husbandry. It is the animal husbandry 'think tank' of the IFOAM Action Group.
The IFOAM General Assembly in Korea in October 2011 recommended that animal husbandry be given more emphasis in IFOAM through a worldwide platform to address animal health and welfare, breeding techniques, feeding (e.g., roughage versus concentrates) and realted issues.
A group of interested individuals, supported by the IFOAM World Board, then began to organize and, at the end of November 2012, the IFOAM Animal Husbandry Alliance (IAHA) became approved by the IFOAM World Board.
IAHA allows IFOAM Affiliates to share organic animal husbandry knowledge, concerns, positions, and issues and integrate them into the work of IFOAM and the organic movement. Its contributions include, but are not limited to:
- Inputs for IFOAM norms developments and IFOAM position papers;
- Contributions to IFOAM’s advocacy for organic livestock and livestock keepers;
- Inputs for the stakeholders of the organic movement, e.g. national organizations, certification bodies, research institutions, communicators, policy setters etc.
- Facilitation of learning for national organic sectors and actors that want to improve their organic animal husbandry development.
IAHA has established working forums on specific issue areas, Since June 2014 a discussion group on animal breeding for organic farming has started a lively dialogue. Other discussion forums are in preparation for example: animal welfare, sustainable health care for animals or the use of medicinal plants in animal health care. Each working forum defines its terms of reference, objectives, participants and work plan. The IAHA core group compiles the results of the working forums and makes them available to interested parties.
Want to take part? Send an email to iaha [at] ifoam [dot] org. You will then get a password to get access to the internal IAHA Moodle system.
Participation at conferences
The inaugural meeting of what became the IAHA occurred during the IFOAM Husbandry Conference, September 2012, in Hamburg. At the conference, a questionnaire was distrubted to participants to gather animal husbandry concerns in different parts of the world. See the results of the first IAHA questionnaire.
On October 12, 2014, 13.30 – 17.30 h, in conjunction with the IFOAM Organic World Congress (OWC) in Istanbul/Turkey, October 13-15, 2014, IAHA will organize an OWC pre-conference on organic animal husbandry, looking at developments and research needs in different areas of the world.
At the main OWC conference, IAHA will organize a workshop session on Wednesday, the 15th of October 2014, 09.30 – 11.00 h,, where the focus will be on drafting an International Action Plan for the development and strengthening of Organic Animal Husbandry from 2014-2017.
The preliminary programmes of the IAHA Pre-conference and workshop session at OWC can be downloaded from here:
The IAHA-IFOAM Animal Husbandry Alliance organized several activities during the 18th IFOAM OWC in Istanbul, October 13-15. Below IAHA Board members: Chris Atkinson (UK), Mahesh Chander (India), Angela Escosteguy (Brazil), Otto Schmidt (Switzerland) and François Labelle (Canada):
More information on the Organic World Congress can be found on the Congress website: www.owc2014.org
- Otto Schmid ( Switzerland): otto [dot] schmid [at] fibl [dot] org
- Angela Escosteguy (Brazil): angela [at] ibembrasil [dot] org
- Chris Atkinson (UK): catkinson [at] soilassociation [dot] org
- Mahesh Chander (India): mahesh64 [at] email [dot] com
- François Labelle (Canada): flabelle [at] valacta [dot] com
- September 2014 North America Newsletter
- June 2014 Asia Newsletter
- January 2014 Latin America Newsletter in English or Spanish/Portuguese
- September 2013 Europe Newsletter in English
Want to get involved? Simply fill out the IAHA-Questionnaire to join the community and receive IAHA's newsletters.