On June 13, 2012, Markus Arbenz, Executive Director of IFOAM, Urs Niggli, Director of theTIPI’s mission is to foster international collaboration in Organic Agriculture research; engage and involve all stakeholders that benefit from Organic Agriculture research; facilitate exchange of scientific knowledge of organic food and farming systems; and to help practitioners disseminate, apply and implement innovations and scientific knowledge consistent with the principles of Organic Agriculture.
TIPI‘s main aims are:
· To be a network for exchange and collaboration between organic research institutions and scientific partners throughout the world.
· To develop organic food and farming science, knowledge, and technology innovation within the global organic movement.
· To serve as a global technology platform for the application of knowledge derived from scientific research through farmer-driven innovation and information dissemination.
· To enable IFOAM policies to be based on good science.
· To establish research priorities with the various stakeholder organizations in IFOAM and to network with regional technology platforms and other bodies that formulate research and innovation strategies for Organic Agriculture.
· To enhance the sustainability of all agriculture based on the principles of Organic Agriculture.
· To build capacity and mobilize partnerships for organic farming research that assists small-scale producers in developing countries alleviate poverty, establish food sovereignty, and meet food security and nutritional needs through healthy, ecologically sound and socially just farming systems.
· To influence and inspire donors and research funding bodies to increase funding for research and innovation in organic food and farming.
· To represent IFOAM members that conduct and apply research, develop technologies, and disseminate information as a sector group.
The first TIPI Member Assembly was held on February 15, 2013, at BioFach in Nuremberg, Germany.
The following personalities were elected as members of the TIPI Council:
· Prof. Dr. Uygun Aksoy, Ege University, Turkey
· Dr. Suh, Korean Federation of Sustainable Agriculture Organisations (KFSA), , South Korea
· Dr. Maria Wivstad, SLU, Sweden
· Prof. Dr. Nic Lampkin, Organic Research Centre, UK
· Prof. Dr. Urs Niggli, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland
· Gabriela Soto, National University of Costa Rica
· Dr. Helga Willer, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland
· Marco Schlüter, IFOAM EU Group, Belgium
The council also appointed
Some members of the TIPI board on February 15th, 2013; from left to right: Prof. Dr. Uygun Aksoy, Ege University, Turkey; Prof. Dr. Urs Niggli, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland; Dr. Helga Willer, Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL), Switzerland; prof. Dr. Nicolas Lampkin, the Organic Research Centre Elm Farm, UK; Gabriela Soto, National University of Costa Rica.
You can find more information about TIPI here.
Would you like to get involved?