Training course: Bachelor of Science Degree in Organic Agriculture
Place: Distance-learning programme.
Every academic year, for a period of three weeks, students will attend a face-to-face workshop at the university campus.
The programme will be run by the Faculty of Agriculture, which will
prepare reading modules and manuals, and administer assignments and
annual examinations, and facilitate the annual three-weeks face-to-face
workshop. The Faculty will conduct periodical monitoring and evaluation
visits to students’ research sites.
Training language: English
Dates/Duration: The degree course is conducted over four years, each involving a three-week’s workshop, two days of assessment, two months of field on-job placement, and one month of on-job report writing.
Cost: The total Annual fee is shillings 830.000. This covers registration, identity card and modules, as well as the annual workshop.
Target groups and admission requirements: Priority for admission will be given to candidates with a diploma in agriculture, or a closely related field, those with a good certificate in agriculture and a long field experience. Applicants with diplomas or equivalent in any other organic agriculture-related field and with biological sciences at A-level will be considered. All admitted students must be working in organic agricultural enterprises or agriculture, community development and related fields, and should be able to take an annual leave of at least 4 weeks.
- To contribute to national objectives of making agriculture relevant to sustainable human-centered development.
- To meet UMU mission of respect for the environment, and Faculty of Agriculture objectives of offering relevant and practical training to our stakeholders.
- To meet existing demand for practical Organic Agriculture experts, capable of addressing current disrespect of the environment through unsustainable farming activities.
- To meet stakeholder demand for farmer training through appropriate workshops.
The course will cover the following areas, each packaged as a module:
1. Agriculture, People and Development.
2. Sustainable Environment Management and Development.
3. Organic Agriculture Production.
4. Research and Extension Methods.
5. Agricultural Information Technology.
6. Organic standards, certification and Regulation.
7. Organic farm planning and Management.
9. Integrated Pest Management in Organic Agriculture.
10. Appropriate Agro-mechanization in Organic Agriculture.
11. Commodity Development and Biotechnology for Organic farming.
12. Agro-product development and processing.
13.Organic Markets Development.
14. Agriculture policy, lobbying, Advocacy, and development.
15. Organizational Development in Organic Agriculture.
16. Applied ethics & social Accountability.
Uganda Martyrs University
P.O.Box 5498 Kampala