Bridges for Organic Knowledge in Korea
Building Capacity for Organic Agriculture in DPR Korea (DCI-FOOD/2011/264-394)
The BOKK project is a partnership implemented by IFOAM and the organic stakeholders from DPR Korea. Local implementation of the activities is under the coordination of the Pyongyang International Information Center for New Technology and Economy (PIINTEC), the only currently authorized IFOAM member in DPR Korea. The total duration is of 48 months, starting in January 2012.
This project is co-financed by the European Commission.
The aim of the project is to provide DPR Korea stakeholders with technical training, institutional strengthening and strengthened networking abilities on organic agriculture, but also to establish sustainable relationships between these institutions and foreign partners with relevant know-how.
IFOAM staff based in Germany and China are working in close cooperation to provide required training to the staff of PIINTEC and the local project coordinator hosted by and selected with the help of PIINTEC. This project will therefore be an opportunity to develop operational skills of PIINTEC's staff, especially in terms of project planning, management, monitoring and communication with foreign counterparts.
In the framework of this project, an inception phase has taken place, composed of two activities, each of them requiring one mission to DPR Korea:
1. Analysis of the national situation in its regional context
Outcome: National Analysis of DPRK Agricultural Situation, focusing on Organic Agriculture.
2. Finalization of project planning in coordination with identified beneficiaries and regional partners
Outcome: Workshop with invited stakeholders for detailed planning of activities.
The inception phase has been concluded in June 2012 and the implementation of the project is currently ongoing.
The following activities are foreseen to take place:
- Training of DPRK stakeholders of various institutions by international experts in DPRK and abroad (basic OA knowledge and targeted needs)
- National workshop for identifying knowledge and information gaps and foster cooperation
- Provision of relevant publications and literature
- Training for extension trainers in DPRK and abroad
- Participation in international conferences and organic events (OWC)
For more details, please contact f [dot] castro [at] ifoam [dot] org (Flávia Castro) (IFOAM Project Coordinator)