Approval in the IFOAM Family of Standards is the only international recognition mechanisms for standards to demonstrate their true “organicness”.
A brochure available here explains the benefits of applying and being approved in the IFOAM Family of Standards.
Application for the IFOAM Family of Standards is open to all standards, including
- private certification standards, and
- governmental standards and technical regulations
of any geographic or product specific scope within the scope of the IFOAM Standards Requirements / COROS.
All organic standards that can be used for certification or other forms of verification (e.g. PGS) are eligible to apply for the IFOAM Family of Standards, if they are final (not draft) documents that can be made public.
For private standards, the application packages must include all of the following:
- the submission of the applicant standard in English, French or Spanish
- the duly filled application form application form for private standards
- the payment of the application fee as per the Family Fee Scheme available here.
The application will be followed by the signature of a contract between the standard owner and IFOAM. You can view a sample of the contract template for new applicants.
For government regulations, the application process can be initiated through either of the following:
- a submission of the application form for governments regulations
- an official letter or in-person negotiations with IFOAM
- a unilateral decision by IFOAM
Approval will depend on the results of an equivalence assessment using the COROS and is regulated under IFOAM Policy 42.
Standard owners that are currently developing or revising organic standards or regulations can also request assistance from IFOAM on how to bring their standard in line with the COROS. This is a separate service (not part of the formal IFOAM Family application process).
All application files and inquiries should be submitted to ogs [at] ifoam [dot] org.