Regional cooperation for organic standards and certification capacity in East Africa – OSEA II
It is running from November 2010 to December 2013 and aims at improving income and livelihoods of rural communities inEast Africa, through facilitation of trade in organic products by means of a regional standard, development of the conformity assessment system, promotion of a regional mark and raising consumer awareness. Read the full Osea II Project Summary.
Some of the specific components of the project are, among others:
- Building certification capacity in the region;
- Making conformity assessment accessible for small producers;
- Working with marketaccess to the EU;
- Regional trade development;
- Advice and support governments on relevant policy issues for development of the sector;
- Monitoring and documenting the development of the sector in East Africa.
The project is implemented by IFOAM in close cooperation with the National Organic Agriculture Movements in Burundi (BOAM), Kenya (KOAN), Rwanda (ROAM), Tanzania (TOAM) and Uganda (NOGAMU). IFOAM is the leading agency, ensures local project coordination, provides technical and political input to the project, and is responsible for part of its implementation. IFOAM contracted Grolink AB for the overall project management.
Find out more about our upcoming East Africa Conference here
Latest OSEA II related publications: