The introduction of Genetic Engineering into agriculture has confronted the organic movement with new challenges. The purpose of this position is to provide IFOAM and its internal bodies with the Federation's position on Genetic Engineering; and to guide IFOAM members in the development of their own positions.
The position has a two fold perspective:
- A political focus on what IFOAM wants.
- A practical focus on what is feasible. This is especially relevant in relationship to standards. Organic agriculture operates according to set requirements and it is critical that those requirements are practically achievable.
Based on this position, strategies will be developed. Public materials and statements by IFOAM shall follow this position.
- Position on genetic engineering and genetically modified organisms (en)
- Position d´IFOAM sur le Génie génétique et les OGM (fr)
- Posición sobre el uso de la Ingeniería Genética y Organismos Genéticamente Modificados en la agricultura (es)
- Position der IFOAM zu Gentechnik und gentechnisch veränderten Organismen (de)