Wednesday, June 18th
Location: Baluardo della Cittadella
This initiative come into being from the collaboration between IFOAM and the Tavolo Equo&Bio, a Network of Italian organizations working in Organic Agriculture, Fair Trade and International Cooperation for Development, coordinated by ICEA (Institute for Ethical and Environmental Certification).
The objective of the initiative is to present International Cooperation for Development projects based on Organic Agriculture practices in order to promote a dialogue about the relations and synergies between the two sectors.
1. Seminar: Rural development against poverty through agriculture sustainability, biodiversity and fairness
(Wednesday, June 18th, 11.15 – 13.30 and 14.30 – 18.00 pm).
2. Poster presentation of International Cooperation for Development projects focusing on Organic Agriculture; see Module: “International Cooperation for Development and Organic Agriculture - Poster exhibition”
3. Presence of project representatives from Developing Countries.
The program has been coordinated by a technical committee created to develop and implement the activities. It consists of representatives of Italian organizations and institutions working in the fields of International Cooperation for Development, OA and Fair Trade: Tavolo Equo&Bio, ICEA (Certifying Body), CEFA (NGO), Fairtrade Italia (FLO National initiative), Regione Emilia Romagna.
Details of the activities:
|Rural development in poor countries, sustainability biodiversity and fairness|
The seminar includes:* Session 1
a. Session 1: toward a participative cooperation;
b. Session 2: local knowledge and culture, sustainable development, biodiversity and fight against poverty. The session includes case studies presentations.
The Seminar is organized by CEFA, Slowfood Fundation for Biodiversity and Faitrade Italia within the project co-funded by the EU Commission “Sustainable agriculture, Biodiversity protection and Fairtrade together against poverty”.
Location: Baluardo della Cittadella
Simultaneous translation available: Italian
Toward a participative cooperation
Moderator: Antonio Compagnoni: IFOAM WB, ICEA International relations manager
- Patrizia Farolini CEFA, President – The NGOs partnership in fighting poverty in the rural areas
- Piero Sardo, Slow Food Foundation for Biodiversity, President – Biodiversity protection against hunger
- Carlo Testini, FAIRTRADE Italia, President - The Fairtrade against hunger
- Anne Boor [pdf 21KB] IFOAM – “Organic Development Options”
- Giuseppe Morabito, V/Director DGCS (MAE) - Italian Development Cooperation Policies with a special focus on Agriculture
- Philip Mikos, DG Development (UE) – The Impact of the EU
- Development Policy to the ACP Rural Development Countries
- AFRICAN UNION Representative - New models for the rural development
- Sergio Marelli, President of the Italian Food Sovereignty Platform - Development cooperation and the actors involved in the food sovereignty
Presentation of the European Observatory on Sustainable
* Session 2
Local knowledge and culture, sustainable development, biodiversity and fight against poverty
Moderator: Ada Civitani - CONCORD Food Security Working Group
CASE STUDIES concerning Integrated rural development, biodiversity protection, Fairtrade, Businesses and movements in food sector: an equitable rural development as a model for an equitable growth.
Pascal Liu [pdf 23KB] FAO, Assistance to African farmer groups in producing and exporting organic and fair-trade products
Brodt S. & Schug D [pdf 76KB], Challenges in Transitioning to Organic Farming in West Bengal, India.
Case studies from Bosnia Erzegovina, Palestina, Tanzania, Morocco, Argentina, Sri Lanka.
Daniel Van der Steen: CONCORD Food Security Group
Matwima Juma: IFAD – Zanzibar(Tanzania)
Project representatives (producers and technicians from Developing Countries) will be invited to present their projects and will participate to the Congress. They will have the possibility to display and sell their products during the Organic Market Festival (June 20th - 22nd). See the cultural program for details on the Organic Market Festival.
Project representatives should be funded by their own projects and organizations. The technical committee is presently searching for additional resources to co-fund the participation of representatives of small projects.